RECIPE - MAINS
Steak & Chestnut Pie
Slow cooked hearty steak and chestnut pie, perfect with mash and green veg of your choice, excellent with curly Kale. The best pre-made pastry we have found in the supermarkets, is called Genius and is usually found in the freezer aisle.
- Braising Steak, cubed - 800g
- Roasted Chestnuts, roughly chopped - 200g
- Carrot, roughly sliced - 2
- Celery, roughly sliced - 2
- Spring Onion, green bits only, sliced - 4
- Fresh Thyme - 4 sprigs
- Gluten Free Flour
- Gluten Free Shortcrust Pastry
- Egg, beaten - 1
- Olive Oil
1. Coat the meat in seasoned flour and brown well using the oil, over a medium-high heat. Transfer meat to a bowl.
2. Sweat the carrot, celery and spring onion in the same pan the meat was browned in. Do this for 5 minutes over a low heat.
3. Add the thyme, chestnuts and meat to the pan, just cover with water, turn up the heat and bring to the boil.
4. Once boiling turn down the heat and simmer for 2 hours.
5. Leave the filling to cool while preheating the oven to 200°C.
6. Once the filing has cooled, remove pastry from fridge and roll out. Transfer pie filling to oven-proof pie dish (if too runny, drain and reserve liquid for gravy) and cover in the pastry. Crimp the edges so they stick to the edge of the dish. Cut some air holes in pastry and then egg wash the top.
7. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, then serve. Preferably with some mash and veg.