RECIPE - MAINS
Spaghetti / Pasta Bolognese
The most famous Italian dish in Britain, but adapted to be gluten free and Low FODMAP. I tend to prefer using penne over spaghetti as I have been unable to find any really good GF spaghetti, ehich is a shame. If you want the sauce to be even richer, then at step 4, place the sauce, covered, in an oven pre-heated to 190°C for one hour and then until the pasta is cooked. If you are unable to find a pork and beef mince mix, then use 2/3 beef to 1/3 pork mince. The pork gives the sauce a more velvety texture.
- Beef & Pork Mince - 500g
- Gluten Free Spaghetti / Pasta - 400g
- Pancetta, chopped - 4 rashers
- Passatta - 600g
- Celery, finely chopped - 2 stalks
- Carrots, peeled, finely chopped - 2
- Tomato Puree - 1 tbsp
- Fresh Basil, finely chopped - 1 handful
- Olive oil - 2 tbsp
- Dried Oregano - 1 tsp
- Parmesan Cheese
- Red Wine - 1 glass
- Fresh Rosemary, finely chopped - 2 stalks
1. Heat a heavy-bottomed saucepan over a medium heat. Add some oil and fry the pancetta pieces until crisp. Lower the heat and then add in the celery and carrot and cook for 10 minutes.
2. Next, increase the heat slightly, add the mince and stir until the meat is browned all over.
3. Add the tomato puree and red wine and cook for 2 minutes, then add in the passata, oregano and basil.
4. Reduce heat to low and simmer for an hour, stirring every so often.
5. After the hour start cooking the spghetti in salted water. Reserve a ladel full of the pasta water once cooked to stir through the sauce.
6. Mix the sauce in with the spaghetti and serve with a light sprinkling of parmesan and some more basil.